Translate

Sunday 23 February 2014

Flirtation Vs Admiration

    A few days back, I was arguing about this topic with a couple of friends and then it stuck to me that there are hundreds of…. Well, thousands of guys like me wrongfully accused of flirting and who want to get rid of the tag ‘Flirt’. We are from mars and so pride matters a lot. Sometimes, people confuse defending oneself with proving the other person wrong.




My interest for girls dates back to school days (as acknowledged in the moment of truth- part 1). This made my parents happy (The point that I was straight:-D). And I enjoyed each bit of it. Little did I know that I would be soon be called a flirt! Over then, it was the most coveted title. As years passed, this was perceived wrongly by many people. The characteristic which was once considered a matter of pride is now close to disgrace. Time passed and I entered college. I had to suppress this quality before it could turn into a disaster. First year passed without any flutters.

Second year arrived and the juniors were too cool to resist. I spoke to them, made memories, enjoyed every bit of the time with them. And then what went wrong? Well, I did this with not one girl but many girls and soon my name climbed up the charts. I analysed and failed. There had to be a deduction which I failed to conceive. No one is born flirt:-P, It’s the circumstances which define a person to flirt/fall in love/admire/respect or whatever feelings you develop towards him/her. Anyway that’s not what I want to discuss but the point is was I really flirting? This question bogged me for a long time and I slowly started accepting this misnomer.

And then the next question was if I am a flirt, how I could fall in love with a girl and like her more than any other girl. This truly cannot be the characteristic of a flirt. This fact relieved me. And then my research continued. I started with the dictionary meaning of various misconceptions. Top 3 are given below.

1)      Flirtation: Playful behaviour to arouse sexual interest. (Oh god, No!!)
2)      Admiration: A feeling of delighted approval and liking. (Maybe, yeah!)
3)      Infatuation: A foolish and usually extravagant passion, love. (Nope)

This put to rest that I wasn’t a flirt. But now how do I prove this to everyone. I prepared a questionnaire and took the answers of a flirt and an admirer. This made the things a little easy!

1)      When you first see a girl, what strikes you?
F: Her figure.
A: Her personality.

2)      Will you look at her eyes when you are having a conversation with a girl?
F: Ha ha, No. There are other areas of interest.
A: Yes, of course.

3)      Well, you are talking to a girl and your girlfriend passes by. What will you do?
F: I will try to hide or disappear.
A: I will introduce my girlfriend to this girl.

4) So a girl has uploaded a profile picture. What’s you reaction?
F: I will be the first one to comment and it will be out of the world.
A: I might just like the picture.

5) And finally, how long does your relationship last?
F: Maybe a few days, utmost a month.
A: As long as we like each other’s company.

Another hundred questions can be asked and answered. That’s not the point. It is not necessary that our thinking should always match with a guy. It sometimes happens such that a person might find it more comfortable talking to another person of opposite sex who is not a friend or lover but just whom you admire. This fact must be respected and not blown out of proportion. This also doesn’t mean that I’ll fall in love with every girl I see.



At the end of the day, what matters is being true to our conscience and not bother about what others think.

2 comments: