Translate

Monday 2 December 2013

Good World, Bad World

Its nearly been nineteen years since we migrated to a city from a hamlet near the border of two states. Life has never slowed down since then, everything is fast here. People can't wait for more than five minutes for their order to arrive at a restaurant. Sixth minute, a look of despair on their faces and on the seventh minute, they are not to be seen.

People can't walk for more than a few metres, they rely more on motors than themselves. This world is bound to perish when the motor that runs the world stops. I don't understand, why we are so much attached to this timeless world. Nothing stops here. The work comes first and then the  family. The priority is always to work and not rest. 

It makes me feel sad to confess that its been ages since all my family members had dinner together. And no neighbours communicate, which is even more weird.  Everyone is always running around as if the world is never gonna stop.

Is this the purpose of life?


People communicate more on phones than in person. We stay more indoor than outdoor and complain of sun, the moment we step out. Phone is more important than anything else and not to mention, used in toilets too! Younger generation play all outdoor games on their gadgets. Books and pencils are replaced with tablets and styli. Its a bad bad trend we are setting for our future generations.


I feel all alone amidst so many people. I have more virtual friends than real friends and I spend very little time with them. Rest of the time, just scrolling down the affairs of others.

Let me rewind my life and recollect how things were when I lived in that part of the world. I spent my initial few years there and then I never missed a chance to go there every year during my summer holidays.

I come from a big joint family consisting of grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins and relatives. The neighbours too are our extended relatives. All of us have our meals together and no one misses out. Grandmother always tells us bedtime stories and guards me from my mom whenever she hits me for my mischievous acts.

The day starts early morning and just after breakfast, all of us go out to the fields. While the elders work, kids play in the sun and pretend to be working like them. My home is surrounded by a garden on all four sides and I just love watering the plants. Plucking the weeds, making a good canal for water to flow through and making it reach all plants is a very satisfying job. We are engrossed in playing cricket in the evenings, followed by snacks and listening to prayers.


I just love the evening breeze there. The chirping of birds and the long walks with my grandfather is always fascinating. Listening to his stories and understanding the values in them, makes it even more interesting. We never slept inside the home, we always sleep outside gazing at the skies. My uncle shows us the constellations and tell us stories associated with them. The sense of togetherness is always there and each of the family member plays a pivotal role in shaping our lives.

Any festival or a family function is always celebrated together in a grandeur. The whole village feasts and the celebrations continue all day. People respect each other and care for the well being of one another. It always seems to me this as the ideal place to live. We have abundant time here and always the world seems to move slowly.


This is my small world and the world which makes me happy. People are bonded by love and affection and its a never ending relationship with nature. Atleast I wish to spend my last days here, if not my whole lifetime.

In the meanwhile, I am patiently waiting for my next summer vacation.


(Note: All the pictures are for representation purpose only and has nothing to do with my family)




2 comments: